Monday, September 21, 2009

Feline discrimination

I've heard that felines are discriminating animals - as a species, they have a reputation for being finicky eaters, for example, and they don't blindly offer their affection with the eagerness of many of their canine brethren. However, I feel compelled to share an example of discrimination against cats, namely in housing. Recently I have been searching craigslist for a new place to live, always checking the box for "cats allowed" in my search. One place looked promising but the rental agent wasn't sure about the owner's pet policy. Turns out the owner will accept dogs but not cats. I don't understand why, when pet owners are often charged exhorbitant pet deposits and sometimes even pay extra "pet" rent for the privilege of keeping their extended family intact. To be sure, there are irresponsible pet owners, but there are all kinds of irresponsible people in the world, and in my experience, people who open up their hearts and lives to pets can be just as stable and responsible as non pet-owners. To me, a house is truly a home when a four-legged shares the space with me.

Fig is old, neutered, and certainly not about to tear up the walls, engage in endless caterwauling, or otherwise commit mayhem. He just wants a quiet, peaceful place to be with me and live out what is remaining of his life. Is that too much to ask?

Today, the world feels just a little bit colder to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment