Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fig Camp




Last week I had the opportunity for a brief escape to the Sierras, and a friend kindly agreed to take Fig for a few days. Fig is a very mellow traveler - he climbs into his crate without much fuss and sleeps in the car, so it was no trouble to get him over there. Since there are other cats in the house where he was staying, he remained in my friend's bedroom. Windows on two sides with low sills provided him with hours of entertainment, and his appetite didn't suffer one bit. Neither, it seems, have his territorial tendencies. When I called in for a Fig report, I was told that he had awakened the household quite early in the morning when the two other cats began pawing at the bedroom door. Fig became agitated and ready to defend his turf. When my friend opened the door to shoo the cats away, one of them bumped into the other and the two of them indulged their fight instinct with each other while rolling down the hallway. Unfortunately, they had riled up the dogs that share the house, so the cats beat a hasty retreat down the stairs, followed by the dogs. The barking, cat shrieks, and sounds of frantic scrambling served as an instant alarm clock for the entire household. I heard that Fig was beside himself with laughter and pleased as punch at being the catalyst.

As much as I love Fig, it was good to take a short break from worrying about and tending to him. And I was that much happier to pick him up, laugh about his exploits, and bring him home.

He is looking good these days, and acting normally. I don't know if this is the last hurrah before the cancer worsens, or if the medicine is working, but I am grateful for it. Perhaps it will last well into fall and winter. One can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment