Friday, November 20, 2009

With a little help from my friends

Having a close, caring relationship with a pet is one of life's most joyful rewards. To be accepted by a member of another species, one with whom you do not even share a common language, is a small miracle. The companionship, comfort, life lessons, and amusement they provide are gifts worth the pain of their eventual loss. Still, the pain is not to be denied. And in some ways, knowing that Fig is going to die, just not knowing if it will be this week, next month, or next year, feels more difficult to handle than coming home to find that your pet was hit by a car or had a sudden stroke while you were gone. In the anticipation of Fig's death I have felt the pain of that loss nearly every day since his diagnosis. It is a two-edged sword, though, as I have also cherished, with more clarity, the gift of these moments with him. They are all the more precious to me, knowing that they are finite.

Last week Fig had some bad days - poor appetite, listlessness, excessive sleeping. I worried that his cancer had taken a turn for the worse, and I began grieving him even though he was still alive. I was very touched, therefore, when a couple of friends who follow this blog reached out and asked after Fig and me - to be sure that we were both okay. The golden thread of friendship became a lifeline, reminding me that while life is fragile, good friends are there to help us navigate the rough waters. And so, as we prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday, I know that I am most grateful for the friends - feline and human - who keep me company on life's journey. May all the blessings you have bestowed upon me be returned to you a thousandfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment